30 April 2012

Tuft's Newletter

Fellow students,

As we conclude our semester, I would like to provide a source that I find particularly useful in translating scientific research into everyday language. Especially if you want to direct anyone asking you questions about healthy living, this is a good source to direct them to.

http://www.tuftshealthletter.com/

Tuft's Newletter is published by The Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University in Boston, MA. They have tabs for Nutrition, Weight Control, Memory, Vitamins and Supplements, etc. Some of their articles do cost money ($1.95) but there are plenty of free articles, as well.

It may be a little too simple for most of you but I do find it to be a great place to direct people asking me about sources for healthy eating or exercise. The writers basically translate the research into basic language so non-science people can understand.

3 comments:

  1. I just checked the site out and it's actually really informative in my opinion. While I do appreciate a nice, thorough scientific paper, it is nice to essentially get the spark notes version of it, especially from a reputable source no less! It's also cool how they link the full article at the bottom of the page as well, in case you want a more in depth look at the subject material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first article that appears, describing how chocolate could make you skinny. It's always good to have some go-to base for helpful information on the fly. While I fell like, for the most part, we tore up the "lay" articles found online this semester, there is plenty of useful information on the internet. You just have to use a little common sense sometimes. Also, taking the previously mentioned article as an example, simply eating chocolate will not likely make you skinny. However, in the right amounts, dark chocolate can be good for you and put you in a better mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thisis great! It really simplifies things and I like that you still have the option of raging the full article but its an awesome place to get quick health information! Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete