30 April 2012

Glucosamine and obesity....a bad combo?

In tying some of this together with some of our past topics, I found a study done published in 2007.  The article is entitled, Oral glucosamine in doses used to treat osteoarthritis worsens insulin resistance. 
  As we covered earlier this semester, obesity can be a highly inflammatory process.  Also, we know that obese individuals typically present with abnormal blood glucose levels and eventually may have serious complications/morbidities stemming from insulin resistance. 
  An overweight or obese status can lead to increased strain and over time wear and tear on the joints of the body.  Therefore it may be common today due to the advertising of OTC joint formulas (such as glucosamine) for an obese individual to be taking these on a daily basis.  According to these researchers, glucosamine taken to treat osteoarthritis may be aiding the joints but it may also be detrimentally worsening vascular function and insulin resistance.  Results such as increased LDL, decreased small artery elasticity, and an increase in fasting insulin and glucose resulted in testing of individuals taking oral glucosamine for six weeks.  It should be noted however the these participants in the study were not ruled out for many reasons: " Exclusion criteria were myocardial infarction within the last 6 months, taking medication within the previous 6 weeks known to affect glucose metabolism, and past use of glucosamine within 1 year."  Therefore these participants could have had multiple conditions that may have some other effects but baselines were taken from each prior to starting the study. 

  So, it would appear that supplemental glucosamine may have some other factors to monitor beyond just the joint areas.  Once again...use with caution and a little common sense in all areas of your life.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting read because I feel that so many people take drugs and supplements to fix problem A, while ignoring the fact that problems B through Z get worse. I was particularly intrigued because osteoarthritis is caused by wear and tear of the joints, particularly the lower joints because they bear most of the weight as we walk, run and jump. Overweight and obese individuals have a higher incidence of OA due to the larger load placed on the joints and these individuals are likely the ones taking supplements like glucosamine to help with joint pain. This is a little scary because with the negative cardiovascular effects associated with glucosamine, overweight patients taking the supplement are just adding more fuel to the metabolic syndrome fire. A car with flat tires is worth a lot more than a car with no engine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, after today's discussion it seems like most of these natural remedies are best used as a great preventative measure in many onset of diseases mostly including anti-inflammatory characteristics, like arthritis.

    Although some natural treatments are taken with a grain of salt, such as glucosamine suflonates. Which for me makes sense because glucosamine is known to promote reconstruction and maintenance, not necessarily stop the autoimmune response. So this would show some promise in decreasing pain simply because of the rebuilding of the cartilage seems promising, but I don't think most articles agreed with glucosamine unless it is taken with a certain type of NSAID.

    On the flip-side ever since (for me at least), that crazy video on coconut oil and it's benefits on AD, it just again made sense. If AD is a diabetes of the brain, there needs to be an alternative to feeding the brain energy. Hence coconut oil contains a certain triglyceride that breaks down into vital ketones, that are easily passed through the BBB and can be used as energy in the brain. That to me is really cool, I mean it is probably a rarity.

    For instance, while researching omega 3 fatty acids I found a way it can help with my ADHD. I honestly forgot where I read it but I know through Omega 3's anti-inflammatory properties it can help with cognitive memory. I know its been a month but I do feel a lot better and much more alter. All because I changed my diet to having at least one 1000mg DHA and D-3 (bones) in the morning.

    I think most answers to medicine are thought of as vaccines, I inject you with fake smallpox and now you have smallpox resistances. This is how I think of it: since now I'm taking Omega 3s and I have resistances to not only my lost train of thought, Better cardio system, and nervous system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting because 9 out of 10 orthopedic surgeons I work with highly recommend this supplement (actually a formula which also includes chondroitin and MSM). They report that most patients who supplement before and after surgery have better outcomes. Of course this is not a very scientific pole but interesting non-the less. I have to admit that I never considered other locations these compounds might be interacting or that negative side effects could result. I had always assumed that the risk of side effects was virtually zero. I would like to see more studies with better controls and normalizing factors. It seems that a few oddball patients could have skewed the results of this study. I am very interested to see the results in follow up studies. Hopefully definitive answers as to the safety and efficacy of this supplement will be realized soon.

    ReplyDelete