06 October 2011

Breathing insulation and having asthma attacks

I thought it would be a good time to talk about asthma since I have recently been reminded of what it feels like to have frequent asthma attacks. I grew up with very severe asthma and I would like to think that lifestyle changes including eating a better diet and getting more exercise have led to me not having attacks on a daily basis. I have been asthma symptom free for several years until recently. The shop I work in was hit by a so called "microburst" which basically destroyed the shop and the insulation covering all of the interior walls. We have continued to work in the shop and my lungs have been paying the price. The torn insulation has exposed large amounts of fiberglass and when the wind blows there is tiny fiberglass particles floating through the air that inevitably make their way into my respiratory system. Now I have asthma attacks on a daily basis, increased amounts of sputum, and persistent airway obstruction when I am in the presence of the airborne particulates. These events are a stark reminder of the inflammatory processes that are plaguing my ability to breathe normally. When an irritant is inhaled it first enters the nasal turbinates and mouth where it contacts mucus, saliva, and the mechanical action of the tongue. Larger particles are usually trapped there and smaller particles enter the conducting airways where they cause release of cytokines and recruitment of large numbers of inflammatory cells like eosinophils. The particles that reach distal regions of the conducting airways (generation 16) are approximately greater than 5 micrometers. Only particles that are ultrafine, <0.1 micron, can reach the alveolus (generation 17-23). This leads to the development of mucus, buildup of proteins, edema, and sloughing of epithelium, all which contribute to bronchial lumen occlusion. It is cytokines such as IL-4, IL-13 and TNF-alpha released by mast cells and TH2 cells that can upregulate the expression of leukocyte and endothelial adhesion molecules ICAM-1, E-selectin, VCAM-, and LFA-1. These processes facilitate transendothelial migration into the lung tissue, which can be a good thing for trapping inhaled particulates and to cough them out, but when this process is over reactive as is the case in people with asthma then too much edema causes airway obstruction. The good thing about airway hyperreactivity as seen in asthma is that it is generally reversible. I am really hoping that my the exposed insulation situation is rectified quickly and that the mucociliary escalator of my conducting airways can carry out this annoying inhaled irritant from my lungs so that I may return to normal breathing.

2 comments:

  1. I too have been symptom free for years. Today I went into the attic for an inspection and immediately developed an asthma like cough which has persisted for two hours later now with wheezing. Hopefully it will go away soon. I won't be venturing back into the attic again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit, I have not been on this web page in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. attic insulation removal and replacement

    ReplyDelete